Access: Healthcare with Amanda Hunter
Are you fascinated with the human body? Do you have a strong desire to help others? Are you wondering if the healthcare field is right for you?We often think of doctors and nurses, but there are a multitude of options in the healthcare field, including pharmacists, Chiropractors, Physical Therapists, Dentists… just to name a few.
Join Pharmacist and the Academy at Bright Ideas Health and Anatomy and Physiology teacher, AmandaHunter, as we explore the healthcare field together!
- Explore various healthcare disciplines.
- Healthcare providers can be difficult to access! In our club, you will be able to participate in Q&A with different types of healthcare professionals (both in live discussions and by submitting questions beforehand).
- Learn basic medical terminology
- Participate in problem solving, teamwork, and communication activities, all of which are essential in the healthcare field. Teams will be given sample healthcare related-dilemmas and present their solutions in a timely fashion.
- Role play some of the ethical/legal parts of healthcare as we discuss patient confidentiality and more!
- Learn the pros and cons of different healthcare pathways and what personality types may be a good fit for a certain discipline.
- Discover which classes are beneficial to take in high school.
Healthy Grub Club with Amanda Hunter
Do you like to eat? Do you enjoy experimenting with new foods and recipes? Do you need plenty of energy for all of your activities?
The Healthy Grub Club is for you! Play with your food with Pharmacist and Certified Health Coach, Amanda Hunter on the second Wednesday of each month and learn the best ways to fuel your body.
We will try new recipes and new ingredients, “healthify” family favorites, practice reading food labels, set goals and help to hold each other accountable via discussion boards and breakout rooms, and see how delicious healthy can be.
Every month, we will:
- Cover a new nutrition topic.
- Debunk dietary myths.
- Have an amazing cooking demonstration.
- Share healthy food “finds” and our favorite healthy cooking experiments.
- Set personal health & wellness goals and report back on last month’s goals.
- Nutrition Detectives - Making sense of the food label and food label claims.
- Eat the rainbow! Many people are intimidated by picking out and trying healthy foods. What exactly is a spaghetti squash? How do you cook it? How do you pick the perfect one?
- Aren’t all carbohydrates bad? Isn’t fat bad for you?
- Must.Have.Chocolate.Now - Sugar cravings, vegetables, and protein? Is there a connection? With holiday treats galore, we will learn how to make delicious treats that won’t lead to regret in January!
- Eating to prevent diseases such as Heart Disease, Type 2 Diabetes, Osteoporosis, etc. Good health as an adult begins with the habits you form today.
- Fueling for physical performance and energy – Do you love to run? Do you love to play basketball? Do you need energy for playing football in the yard with your buddies or chasing your little sister in a game of tag? Learn how to fuel for maximum energy.
- Burgers, pizza, pasta – oh my! Healthy restaurant dining? Learn tips and tricks for making wise choices and create a few scrumptious copy-cat restaurant meals too!
- Healthy meal planning on a budget and recipe makeovers – Bring your family favorite indulgent recipes to redo!
On Parle Ensemble! – A French Conversation Club (Let’s Chat Together!) with Marji McIlvaine
Sharpen your student’s language skills in a low-pressure, low-preparation, no-grades- involved club! Come put that French to work – improve your/your student’s skills with conversation practice! All levels of French are welcome to come practice and improve in language ability! There is no set curriculum base so any student from any class source or curriculum is welcome. We will focus on using the most commonly used words (especially verb structures) in the language – this equips the student to acquire the language versus just repeating canned phrases. We use instructor-guided conversation about topics of high student interest such as: music, culture, foods, activities, families, movies, current events … and more, including language games and brief stories, poems, video clips, and songs. Conversation will be sculpted to overcome traditional “trouble spots” with French language structure and grammar in a real-life setting, far from pages of exercises and drills. Students will have access to supervised online French chat with each other outside of the live club meeting.
¡Charlamos juntos! – A Spanish Conversation Club (Let’s Chat Together!) with Marji McIlvaine
Sharpen your student’s language skills in a low-pressure, low-preparation, no-grades- involved club! Come put that Spanish to work – improve your/your student’s skills with conversation practice! All levels of Spanish are welcome to come practice and improve in language ability! There is no set curriculum base so any student from any class source or curriculum is welcome. We will focus on using the most commonly used words (especially verb structures) in the language – this equips the student to acquire the language versus just repeating canned phrases. We use instructor-guided conversation about topics of high student interest such as: music, culture, foods, activities, families, movies, current events … and more, including language games and brief stories, poems, video clips, and songs. Conversation will be sculpted to overcome traditional “trouble spots” with Spanish language structure and grammar in a real-life setting, far from pages of exercises and drills. Students will have access to supervised online Spanish chat with each other outside of the live club meeting.
Club Leadership 101 with Kelly Knieper
Do you have a teen that is searching to understand their next step after High School? Do you have a child who is a born leader, but needs some direction? How about that kid that is floating through life? The goal for this club is to encourage goal setting, dreaming big, strength building, leadership trait development, and fostering people skills. This monthly club will help any homeschool teen become more confident in their God-given gifts and talents as they become leaders for Christ. The club will include tests and exercises which help teens learn about their personality traits so they understand themselves better. It is also very important that children stop comparing themselves to others and look to all they have been given to offer the world, and to discover their dreams and passions.
The long-term goal for this club is to have students continue as club members for multiple years, working alongside those students who join each year. This will give them another avenue to practice the skills they are learning as they can then teach and mentor new members. Returning students would be working with different books. They will work with the mentor one-on-one to develop individualized plans to continue their growth. The club will function as a revolving door with students at different stages of growth and in different roles within the club.
The Creativity Club: Handcrafted by Love! with Rhiannon Appelgrijn
Creativity is in our DNA. We are the sons and daughters of the Maker of All Things, including our own uniquely, lovingly crafted lives! Whether you consider yourself artsy or think you’re “all thumbs,” this club is for you! Through the fun, fascinating lens of an artisan, we will view God’s Word and learn hands-on, step-by-step instructions for creating one-of-a-kind crafts! You will grow to see to craftsmanship, yourself, and your Maker in a whole new way. Each time we meet, we will explore:
- what our Wonderful Maker has to say in His Word about topics we struggle with each day
- how He reveals deep truths about our lives through craftsmanship
- how we can move from our struggles into victory in Jesus through applying His truth to our everyday lives
- how to create beautiful, unique, handmade crafts
Our in-club crafts will be hands-on; however, more advanced crafts will also be discussed by guest Christian artisans for our learning and enjoyment! Their inspirational words and instructions will be in the form of pre-recorded videos made exclusively for this club and purpose. During the tutorial, these Christian individuals will share personal revelations in their walk of faith that have come through working with their craft. You don’t want to miss this!
Join The Academy Family
The Academy at Bright Ideas Press is a virtual school, offering both live and self-paced classes for middle school and high school students, taught from a Christian perspective. With an array of course offerings and 30 plus teachers. The Academy is perfect for homeschoolers as part of their regular course load or for others who wish to supplement their learning with our vast array of course offerings.