ACCESS! HEALTH CARE WITH AMANDA HUNTER
Time: The second Tuesday of each month FROM 1:00-2:00 PM EST
Are you fascinated with the human body? Do you have a strong desire to help others? Are you wondering if the healthcare field is right for you?We often think of doctors and nurses, but there are a multitude of options in the healthcare field, including pharmacists, Chiropractors, Physical Therapists, Dentists… just to name a few.
Join Pharmacist and the Academy at Bright Ideas Health and Anatomy and Physiology teacher, AmandaHunter, as we explore the healthcare field together!
- Explore various healthcare disciplines.
- Healthcare providers can be difficult to access! In our club, you will be able to participate in Q&A with different types of healthcare professionals (both in live discussions and by submitting questions beforehand).
- Learn basic medical terminology
- Participate in problem solving, teamwork, and communication activities, all of which are essential in the healthcare field. Teams will be given sample healthcare related-dilemmas and present their solutions in a timely fashion.
- Role play some of the ethical/legal parts of healthcare as we discuss patient confidentiality and more!
- Learn the pros and cons of different healthcare pathways and what personality types may be a good fit for a certain discipline.
- Discover what courses are beneficial to take in high school.
Time: The second Tuesday of each month; time TBA
Do you have a student who loves art and would do nothing but create masterpieces all day long if allowed to? Or perhaps you have one that can’t stand the idea of creating art and you know that a weekly class would be torturous to him or her? Maybe you’re searching for an opportunity for your student to experience art without adding too much to an already busy schedule, breaking the bank, or driving to yet another class? What if the solution to any or all of these problems is as simple as Art Club?
Let’s face it, when we have a passion for something, there is nothing better than having our interest validated by others. And if we don’t have that passion yet, who better to inspire us? It is also very helpful to spend time with those who can offer us suggestions and solutions, or just encourage us when we get frustrated. Spending time with those who can teach us skills or methods we are not familiar with offers a great opportunity to grow interests and abilities, and broaden our scope of learning. For the less-than- enthusiastic artist, this is a great setting to discover how art can be an enjoyable pursuit, without the pressure of a weekly class and defined assignments.
Join us as we meet live on the second Tuesday of the month (it will be recorded in case you need to miss one)
- Share your work
- Learn a new technique (watercolor pencil, paper mache, charcoal, oil pastel, blending markers...the possibilities are endless)
- Discuss challenges, frustrations, and successes
- Consider a theme for the following month’s art challenge
This is a low-pressure experience for anyone who enjoys creating art or is interested in gaining an appreciation for it. Age and skill are not limitations, only a desire to create art that brings the artist joy, a positive attitude, and a willingness to encourage others is needed to join the club.
Club members will not have any requirements of materials or assignments, though there are techniques that will be demonstrated using a variety of materials and a monthly submission of at least one piece of art is recommended. Most artists love to show their work, and this is an opportunity to do just that, as well as to be challenged to grow in their chosen medium, or even to branch out into new ones. I am looking forward to inspiring future, budding, or skilled artists as we gather to celebrate the beauty around and within each of us!
Time: 2nd Friday of each month at 11am EST, beginning January 12, 2018
Take a trip through time to meet the American Girls! See important key events and American history through the eyes of a nine-year-old girl. Each month we will read the first “Beforever” book based on one of the American Girls listed below. (at least four chapters required – all 12 chapters is best to avoid spoilers). We will meet to discuss, complete projects and share with other students! Many, many project ideas will be provided to choose from, including crafts, cooking, sewing, art, research and more!
This book club for homeschoolers will include:
- All learning styles
- Engaging, hand-on activities
- Beginning literary analysis using the Socratic method
In this highly interactive club, your daughter will engage with historical events in a compelling story that makes history accessible and understandable. Students will begin to grasp the flow of history through time, the life of a girl near their ages in different time periods, how historical events impact the daily lives of people living through them, and elements of daily life in each time period – foods, games, lifestyles, family relationships – and sometimes, horses!
Time: 2nd Wednesday of each month, from 3-4 pm EST
Do you like to eat? Do you enjoy experimenting with new foods and recipes? Do you need plenty of energy for all of your activities?
The Healthy Grub Club is for you! Play with your food with Pharmacist and Certified Health Coach, Amanda Hunter on the second Wednesday of each month from 3-4 pm EST learn the best ways to fuel your body.
We will try new recipes and new ingredients, “healthify” family favorites, practice reading food labels, set goals and help to hold each other accountable via discussion boards and breakout rooms, and see how delicious healthy can be.
Every month, we will:
- Cover a new nutrition topic.
- Debunk dietary myths.
- Have an amazing cooking demonstration.
- Share healthy food “finds” and our favorite healthy cooking experiments.
- Set personal health & wellness goals and report back on last month’s goals.
- Nutrition Detectives - Making sense of the food label and food label claims.
- Eat the rainbow! Many people are intimidated by picking out and trying healthy foods. What exactly is a spaghetti squash? How do you cook it? How do you pick the perfect one?
- Aren’t all carbohydrates bad? Isn’t fat bad for you?
- Must.Have.Chocolate.Now - Sugar cravings, vegetables, and protein? Is there a connection? With holiday treats galore, we will learn how to make delicious treats that won’t lead to regret in January!
- Eating to prevent diseases such as Heart Disease, Type 2 Diabetes, Osteoporosis, etc. Good health as an adult begins with the habits you form today.
- Fueling for physical performance and energy – Do you love to run? Do you love to play basketball? Do you need energy for playing football in the yard with your buddies or chasing your little sister in a game of tag? Learn how to fuel for maximum energy.
- Burgers, pizza, pasta – oh my! Healthy restaurant dining? Learn tips and tricks for making wise choices and create a few scrumptious copy-cat restaurant meals too!
- Healthy meal planning on a budget and recipe makeovers – Bring your family favorite indulgent recipes to redo!
Sharpen your student’s language skills in a low-pressure, low-preparation, no-grades- involved club! Come put that French to work – improve your/your student’s skills with conversation practice! All levels of French are welcome to come practice and improve in language ability! There is no set curriculum base so any student from any class source or curriculum is welcome. We will focus on using the most commonly used words (especially verb structures) in the language – this equips the student to acquire the language versus just repeating canned phrases. We use instructor-guided conversation about topics of high student interest such as: music, culture, foods, activities, families, movies, current events … and more, including language games and brief stories, poems, video clips, and songs. Conversation will be sculpted to overcome traditional “trouble spots” with French language structure and grammar in a real-life setting, far from pages of exercises and drills. Students will have access to supervised online French chat with each other outside of the live club meeting.
¡Charlamos juntos! – A Spanish Conversation Club (Let’s Chat Together!)
Sharpen your student’s language skills in a low-pressure, low-preparation, no-grades- involved club! Come put that Spanish to work – improve your/your student’s skills with conversation practice! All levels of Spanish are welcome to come practice and improve in language ability! There is no set curriculum base so any student from any class source or curriculum is welcome. We will focus on using the most commonly used words (especially verb structures) in the language – this equips the student to acquire the language versus just repeating canned phrases. We use instructor-guided conversation about topics of high student interest such as: music, culture, foods, activities, families, movies, current events … and more, including language games and brief stories, poems, video clips, and songs. Conversation will be sculpted to overcome traditional “trouble spots” with Spanish language structure and grammar in a real-life setting, far from pages of exercises and drills. Students will have access to supervised online Spanish chat with each other outside of the live club meeting.
Join The Academy Family
The Academy at Bright Ideas Press is a virtual school, offering both live and self-paced classes for middle school and high school students, taught from a Christian perspective. With over 100 course offerings and 30 plus teachers. The Academy is perfect for homeschoolers as part of their regular course load or for others who wish to supplement their learning with our vast array of course offerings.
It is our desire to foster a sense of community! As students continue to do their course work with us and become involved in our extra curricular activities, they will develop relationships with their teachers and with other students