CLUB: Access Healthcare with Amanda Hunter
Are you fascinated with the human body? Do you have a strong desire to help others? Are you wondering if the healthcare field is right for you?We often think of doctors and nurses, but there are a multitude of options in the healthcare field, including pharmacists, Chiropractors, Physical Therapists, Dentists… just to name a few.
Join Pharmacist and the Academy at Bright Ideas Health and Anatomy and Physiology teacher, AmandaHunter, as we explore the healthcare field together!
- Explore various healthcare disciplines.
- Healthcare providers can be difficult to access! In our club, you will be able to participate in Q&A with different types of healthcare professionals (both in live discussions and by submitting questions beforehand).
- Learn basic medical terminology
- Participate in problem solving, teamwork, and communication activities, all of which are essential in the healthcare field. Teams will be given sample healthcare related-dilemmas and present their solutions in a timely fashion.
- Role play some of the ethical/legal parts of healthcare as we discuss patient confidentiality and more!
- Learn the pros and cons of different healthcare pathways and what personality types may be a good fit for a certain discipline.
- Discover which classes are beneficial to take in high school.
CLUB: Healthy Grub Club with Amanda Hunter
Do you like to eat? Do you enjoy experimenting with new foods and recipes? Do you need plenty of energy for all of your activities?
The Healthy Grub Club is for you! Play with your food with Pharmacist and Certified Health Coach, Amanda Hunter on the second Wednesday of each month and learn the best ways to fuel your body.
We will try new recipes and new ingredients, “healthify” family favorites, practice reading food labels, set goals and help to hold each other accountable via discussion boards and breakout rooms, and see how delicious healthy can be.
Every month, we will:
- Cover a new nutrition topic.
- Debunk dietary myths.
- Have an amazing cooking demonstration.
- Share healthy food “finds” and our favorite healthy cooking experiments.
- Set personal health & wellness goals and report back on last month’s goals.
- Nutrition Detectives – Making sense of the food label and food label claims.
- Eat the rainbow! Many people are intimidated by picking out and trying healthy foods. What exactly is a spaghetti squash? How do you cook it? How do you pick the perfect one?
- Aren’t all carbohydrates bad? Isn’t fat bad for you?
- Must.Have.Chocolate.Now – Sugar cravings, vegetables, and protein? Is there a connection? With holiday treats galore, we will learn how to make delicious treats that won’t lead to regret in January!
- Eating to prevent diseases such as Heart Disease, Type 2 Diabetes, Osteoporosis, etc. Good health as an adult begins with the habits you form today.
- Fueling for physical performance and energy – Do you love to run? Do you love to play basketball? Do you need energy for playing football in the yard with your buddies or chasing your little sister in a game of tag? Learn how to fuel for maximum energy.
- Burgers, pizza, pasta – oh my! Healthy restaurant dining? Learn tips and tricks for making wise choices and create a few scrumptious copy-cat restaurant meals too!
- Healthy meal planning on a budget and recipe makeovers – Bring your family favorite indulgent recipes to redo!
CLUB: Writing Workshop with Cheryl Carter
Does your student enjoy writing? Are you looking for ways to develop your student’s creative writing skills? Has your student expressed an interest in getting published? Come join our Academy online writing workshop club! Students will have the opportunity to work with a creative writing professor, multi-published author (of fiction and nonfiction books), freelance writer and blogger, Cheryl Carter. Cheryl will give valuable leadership as well as insight, recommendations and critique as your student writes creatively!
We will use classic American literature as our examples, so students should have a ready, although not extensive, knowledge of literature and writing. Students will learn how to write literary and popular fiction, creative nonfiction, plays, poetry and the newest genre flash fiction, all from a Christian prospective. Read literature, imitate great authors, comment constructively on others’ works, and create masterpieces. If your student has a desire to get published, or merely wants to develop their writing skills, then this club is a perfect fit!
Join The Academy Family
The Academy at Bright Ideas Press is a virtual school, offering both live and self-paced classes for middle school and high school students, taught from a Christian perspective. With an array of course offerings and 30 plus teachers. The Academy is perfect for homeschoolers as part of their regular course load or for others who wish to supplement their learning with our vast array of course offerings.